The FieldPartner community has people spread all across the globe but we want to be here to support, encourage and pray for you wherever you are. Out of my experience as a “missionary kid”, as the wife of a missionary and as a mother of five daughters who were thrown into cross-cultural living when most were in their teens, I have a particular concern for the area of mission support.
Coaching groups are a small-format, informal space to learn, grow and help each other. The point of the coaching is to tailor it to the individuals in the group and their own expressed needs, so it is important to let us know what topics you want to address. Currently, this is all being offered for free.
Our purpose in offering group coaching for FieldPartner members goes a lot wider than just our sessions together. Of course, we hope they will be helpful in and of themselves. But we also hope they will start conversations within each cohort of coachees and lead to an ongoing connection between you. Mutual support of this sort can be a lifeline if one is isolated, or if sharing honestly within your team is proving difficult. And if you are still in the pre-field phase, knowing the real-life issues that are often faced on the field can aid you in your preparation.
The suggested topics are as follows, but since the duration of the coaching is envisaged as only 8 – 12 weeks, it is unlikely we can discuss all of them – the final choice on topics (apart from the first one) will be agreed between us on a week by week basis.
You are welcome also suggest a topic if you have a burning issue you wish to discuss:
• Introductions: has Covid-19 been a life changer for you? Share the issues the pandemic has confronted you with.
• Do our own cultural norms and biases hinder us in reaching out across cultures?
• Navigating culture shock and re-entry stress – recognising symptoms in self and others
• Cultural clashes or misunderstandings – and team dynamics in the light of them
• Family and team: whether married or single, what does mutual care look like?
• Raising and maintaining our own support ‘eco-system’ – how well supported do you feel?
• Spiritual warfare – do we ever forget that we have an enemy that hates us?
• Staying close to God amidst cultural and ministry pressures
• Overcoming temptation – what kinds of temptation might we be prone to?
• Dealing with grief and loss – what kinds of losses are there in our lives?
• Healthy self-care – how do we take good care of ourselves in a cross-cultural context?
• What constitutes success and failure in mission terms (and in whose eyes)? How do we handle both?
• Helping not Hurting (book) – overcoming the ‘white saviour syndrome’
• Raising up national leaders/ handing over to local team
• Navigating life as between truth-based and shame-based cultures - do we understand the differences?
• Communication with ‘home’ – staying in touch in the modern world (newsletters, stories, social media)
• Security issues (including internet security): what can we and can’t we say/do?
Please go to the sign-up form here, where you will be able to fill out more details on yourself and what you'd hope to get out of a coaching group.